Frequently Asked Questions

Single Course and Listening Student



Mention I

Student Tutoring

Final Project

Research and Extension


Tests and absences

Student representation

Transferring, Returning and Re-entry

Frequent Questions about Single Course and Listening Student

1 - What is Single Course / Listening Student?

Remaining vacancies in courses can be occupied by students enrolled in other UFSC undergraduate programs or external community, which will be enrolled as single course or listening student.

Important: Enrollment as Single Course / Listening Student do not characterize affiliation at UFSC.

2 - What are the differences between Single Course and Listening Student?

Enrollment in Single Course confer the right to certificate with frequency and grade. Enrollment as Listening Student confer the right to certificate with frequency only. Courses as Listening Student cannot be converted to Single Course or Regular Course.

3 - What courses are offered as Single Course / Listening Student?

Only courses with remaining vacancies are offered as Single Course / Listening Student. It is possible that a course is offered in one semester and not on the next. However, it is possible that a new course is offered. The priority of enrollments are for regular students at undergraduate programs.

In any circunstance will be created classes only for Single Course / Listening Student.

5 - How many courses it is possible to enroll as Single Course / Listening Student?

The external candidate can enroll up to 5 single courses per semester, and up to 500 total class hours. In special cases, determined by the university, the external candidate can enroll in more than 500 total class hours.

The regular student of another undergraduate program can enroll up to 500 total class hours as single course, respecting the maximum total class hours in the semester.

6 - How to access Moodle Platform?

Access Guia Prático para Estudantes (in portuguese).

7 - Enrollment in Single Course / Listening Student

Enrollment as Single Course / Listening Student occur at the beggining of the semester, as planned at UFSC Academic Calendar. Other informations are available at (in portuguese).

8 - Documents for enrollment

1) High School transcript;
2) Undergraduate transcript: courses with prerequisite;
3) Course description or syllabus of attended courses when enrolled at courses with prerequisites;
4) Copy of registration form.

Attention! The documents must be sent to Department’s email () due to the last day of enrollment. 

9 - Enrollment results

The results will be published exclusively at CNM websiteThe candidate is responsible to monitor the results.

10 - Single Course / Listening Student Certificate

Send an e-mail to Student Administration Department (DAE):

Frequent Questions about Internships

1 - I have an urgent subject to solve about internship, what can I do?

Visit the CNM page about internships. All subjects about internships must be dealed directly with the Internship’s coordinator of your Program.

Frequent Questions about Infrastructure

1 - I have found infrastructure problems, who do I contact?

You can enter in contact with the School of Socioeconomic Sciences Coordination, responsible for the infrastructure.

Frequent Questions about Mention I

1 - What is Mention I and when can I request it?

Students who, for reasons of major force and full justification, fail to complete the planned tests may request a Mention I. The student must submit the reasons for the request directly to the course professor before the grades are published in the CAGR system.

In the case of the Final Project, the student must submit the Citation Form I (available in the Instructions/Steps section of the “Final Project” section of the Department’s website) signed by the supervisor to the Final Project coordinator by the deadline set in the semester’s Final Project calendar.

2 - I got grade/mention I in a course, how do I change to a grade?

The “I” is not a grade, but a mention. This means that the student did not complete all the evaluations for a given subject during the semester in which they took it. On receiving an “I”, the student undertakes to complete the missing evaluation(s) by the end of the following semester, at which point the “I” will be replaced by the final grade attributed by the teacher to the student. It is important to note that once a student has obtained a Mention I, he/she must not enrol in the course again in the following semester, nor may he/she request a Mention I for the same course again. If the student does not hand in the outstanding evaluations in the following semester, the Mention I will be changed to a grade of 0.0 (zero).

Frequent Questions about Student Tutoring

1 - What are the regulations of the UFSC Student Tutoring Program and where can I find them?

The UFSC Student Tutoring Program is regulated by the Normative Resolution No. 53/CUn/2015, modified by the Normative Resolution nº 85/2016/CUn, de 30 de agosto de 2016. The complete regulation can be found at CNM’s Student Tutoring page.

2 - What courses will have scholarship in the semester?

The courses with Student Tutoring scholarships will be announced at CNM’s Student Tutoring page.

3 - How the Student Tutoring Scholarships are distributed?

The Student Tutoring scholarships are distributed to the schools by a central comission. The annual process of distributions occurs from august to september, according to the Normative Resolution nº 53/CUn/2015.

The Director of each School must appoint an Internal Distribution Committee which, applying the rules set out in articles 21 and 26 of the same Resolution, must distribute the student tutoring scholarships among the applicant courses.

4 - How professors can apply for scholarships in their courses?

Within 45 days of the end of the academic year, each Internal Distribution Committee must publish a specific notice for the distribution of scholarships for the subjects linked to its respective School, in which it will inform the rules for distribution, as well as the registration period for the courses.

5 - What are the prerequisites to be a Student Tutor?

To apply for a paid or voluntary position and act as a student tutor at UFSC, the student must meet the following conditions, expressed in Article 8º of Normative Resolution No. 53/CUn/2015:

Art. 8º […]

I- Be regularly enrollment in the UFSC undergraduate course;

II- Have completed and passed the subject with Students Tutoring (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of 7.0 (seven);

III- Check, in the Department or equivalent unit on the campus, the compatibility between the schedules of their academic activities and those proposed for the development of Student Tutoring activities;;

IV- Have satisfactory evaluation results from the supervising professor (grade equal to or greater than 7.0) in carrying out Studentes Tutoring activities over the last two semesters;

V- Not have received a Students Tutoring scholarship for a period equal to or greater than 4 (four) semesters;

VI- You will not receive other teaching, internship, research or extension Schollarship except monetary benefits intended to promote the permanence of students in the courses in which they are enrolled (Student Schollarship/UFSC, Permanence Schollarship/MEC, or others covered by the Prorectorate for Student Affairs and Retention – PRAE). [*]

[*] Only the accumulation of scholarships that are granted through public funding are prohibited.

6 - What is Moni?

Moni is the Student Tutoring Program’s data recording system. Moni is where student tutors and supervisors are registered, where absences are recorded and from where information is collected for the payment of scholarships. Through this system, supervisors can keep track of the activities carried out, which students have been assisted, the most frequently asked questions and how the assistance was provided. It is also through Moni that undergraduate students can evaluate the program and check which subjects are supported by the tutors, the tutors’ service hours and their Work Plan. Documents such as the Term of Commitment and the Student Tutoring or Supervision Certificate are issued by this system and can be printed out by the student tutor, the supervisor or the Departments.

7 - What is and how to do the final report?

At the end of the semester, each student tutor is responsible for accessing the MONI system and filling in the final report of their activities as a tutor of the subject, recording their experience, positive and negative points of the tutoring. After sending in the final report, the supervising professor must access the system and approve/disapprove the tutor’s report and record their grade in MONI.

8 - How do I access the Student Tutoring Certificate?

After the final report has been registered and evaluated by the supervisor, the tutor can access the system and print out their tutoring certificate.

9 - What is the remuneration of the Student Tutoring Scholarship?

Scholarship value: R$ 472,80

Transportation vouchers: R$ 132,00

Total remuneration: R$ 604,80 (paid in proportion to days worked)

10 - I haven't received the scholarship or the amount is wrong, what could have happened?

Wait until the date of payment of the tutoring scholarship, which can be made until the 10th of each month. Make sure that the Term of Commitment has been signed and that the Department Secretary has sent it through MONI. Check if your activities have been registered in MONI, as tutors need to register their activities in the system on a weekly basis, otherwise the scholarships will be blocked by the system. Observe the start date of the tutoring activities in the signed Term of Commitment, as the amount of the scholarship will be calculated from this date.

11 - Can a student be reassigned as a tutor without having to go through a new selection process?

According to the rules that regulate tutoring at UFSC, it is possible for a tutor to be reappointed as a tutor for the course in the following semester without the need for a new selection process, upon validation of the Activity Report by the supervisor and the student’s satisfactory evaluation (grade above 7.0) in the completion of the tutoring in the previous semester, respecting the limit of one reassignment.

In order to request the reassignment of a tutor, the supervisor must contact the student and check whether there is interest/availability in the reassignment. If there is agreement between the parties, the supervisor must request the student’s reassignment for the Department.

12 - Is it possible for a reassigned tutor to be a tutor again?

In cases where reassignment is not possible without a selection process, it is possible for the current tutor(s) to take part in the selection process and be selected again, respecting the maximum limit of 4 total semesters in which the student has worked as a tutor.

Frequent Questions about Final Project

1 - I've defended my final project, what should I do now?

After the defense and before the work is made available in the Repository, the student must send the minutes of the defense, digitally signed by all the participants, to the monograph coordinator of their program. The final version of the project (signed by the supervisor) must then be submitted to the UFSC Repository so that the thesis coordinator can publish the work and post the grade.

2 - I did all the post-defense procedures, but my grade still isn't on my transcript, what happened?

Grades entered into the system by the final project coordinator only appear on the transcript when DAE updates the system at the end of the semester.

3 - I'm doing my final project, where can I find the regulations and documents?

The department’s website contains all the documents, templates and instructions that students need to follow.

4 - I submitted the Final Project Contract with a research topic. Is it possible to change the Topic and/or the Objective and/or the Focus of my final project?

Yes, it is possible to make such changes, as long as you agree with the supervisor. There is no need to inform the Final Project Coordination.

5 -What happens if I miss the deadline for submitting the final version of the project on the date indicated in the semester's final project calendar?

In this case, the student will fail and receive 0.0 (zero) in the final grade of the final project course, having to enroll again in the following semester in order to complete the work.

6 - Who defines the members of the Board of Examiners?

The final project coordinator is responsible for defining the members of the Examining Board. However, if they wish, the student together with the supervisor can suggest the participation of the members on the Defense Confirmation Form.

Frequent Questions about Research and Extension

1 - What is Sigpex?

The Integrated Research and Extension Project Management System (SIGPEX) is a system that has been developed to register research and extension projects carried out at UFSC in a more efficient and dynamic way, with the aim of making it easier to fill in and obtain reports so that it can serve as a management tool. With a view to transparency and quick access to projects by the external community, it is possible to see a list of projects in progress as they are registered in the system. Registration of actions is mandatory. SIGPEX allows two main categories to be registered: Extension Actions and Teaching Activities. Extension actions are programs, projects, courses and events. Teaching activities are short-term, non-continuous activities carried out by the professor during the semester, such as participation in courses, external boards, events, among others.

2 - I'm interested in getting involved in research and extension activities, how do I go about it?

The CNM professors’ research and extension projects are listed on the Department’s website. You can contact the teachers responsible for the projects and/or the Research Coordination / Extension Coordination for more information.

3 - Is it possible to issue certificates for extension activities?

Yes, extension actions registered and approved in SIGPEX can provide certificates (except for extension programs). Certificates must be issued by the coordinator of the extension action, using the appropriate form, and upon approval of the Partial Report or Final Report of the action in SIGPEX.

The deadline for issuing certificates is 180 days after the end of the extension action. Certificates are issued at: They can be issued in two ways. The first is by providing the list of candidates via a TXT or CSV file. The second is by importing the names of participants from the registration system: The full procedures for issuing certificates are available at:

4 - How to register teaching activities and extension actions?

Teaching activities and extension actions must be registered on SIGPEX, via the link You must log in with your UFSC identity – SIGPEX uses UFSC’s centralized authentication system – if you have any questions, go to: Important: the SIGPEX password is the same as the one used for other systems at the institution, so it should not be shared with anyone. Each user must access the system with their own login and password.

5 - How is an extension action processed in SIGPEX?

In a nutshell, the procedure is as follows: the coordinator of the extension action registers the action in SIGPEX; the Extension Coordinator analyzes the proposed action and takes it to the Departmental Council for approval. If the action involves participants from another Department, the participants must be approved in each Department and the action approved again by the School’s General Extension Coordinator (this procedure takes place in SIGPEX). The action coordinator then carries out the extension action. Then the action is finalized and the Final Report is filled in (all the fields requested in SIGPEX must be filled in, as well as attaching the mandatory proof of the action). Finally, the Extension Coordinator analyzes the Final Report, approves it and forwards it to the Department’s Council for approval. At this point, the action coordinator can issue the certificates relating to the action.

6 - What are the deadlines for extension actions?

Extension actions and teaching activities must be registered in SIGPEX preferably before they begin, or exceptionally within 30 days. It is not possible to register an action or activity with a retroactive start date of more than 30 days. After the end of the action, the coordinator will have up to 30 days to complete the Final Report in SIGPEX, and the Extension Coordinator will have 45 days to approve or disapprove it.

7 - How do I change extension action information?

SIGPEX data can be changed while the extension action is still in draft form. Once it has been sent for approval, if it needs to be changed, the form must be sent back for revision. The only exception is the inclusion or exclusion of students or participants from outside the University, in the Participants tab, which can be done at any time, before the Final Report is drawn up, without the need to send the process for review. The person responsible for approval is the Extension Coordinator of the Department where the coordinator of the extension action comes from.

8 - How is an extension action approved?

Once completed, the SIGPEX form is sent to the Department’s Extension Coordinator (appointed by order of the director of the School) for analysis. The coordinator analyzes the registration data and can request a change, disapprove or approve (via Ad Referendum or Departmental Council). An e-mail communicating whether or not the extension action has been approved by the Department is automatically sent to the action’s coordinator. If the extension action is approved and has no other participants from the UFSC staff, the action can be started. If the extension action is approved and has other UFSC staff participants, each participant must be approved by their respective Department Extension Coordinator. If all participants are approved, the form returns to the Departmental Extension Coordinator for approval and, once approved, the action can begin.

9 - How is an extension action extended?

On the date entered as the end of the extension action in SIGPEX, the coordinator will receive a message asking them to prepare the Final Report. If the coordinator wants to extend the deadline, he/she should open the form, in the Final Report tab, choose the ongoing activity option and inform the new date for the end of the action (maximum 120 days).

10 - Is it possible to renew an extension action?

Yes. Once the Final Report of an extension action has been approved in SIGPEX, it can be renewed, keeping all the information from the previous extension action, except for the period in which it was carried out and the registration number.

11 - How can an extension action be deleted from SIGPEX?

Records of extension actions in SIGPEX can only be deleted while in draft form, before being submitted for approval by the coordinator’s department. In this case, there is no need for a Final Report and everything goes on as if the action had never been registered. If the activity has already been approved but not started, click on the Final Report tab on the respective registration form and then select the canceled activity option so that the system closes the form. If the action has already been started, the report must be made stating which stages have been completed, the end date must be changed and the reasons why it was interrupted must be explained.

Frequent Questions about professors

1 - I'm having problems with my teacher, who do I contact?

Initially, students are advised to talk directly to their professor. If the problem is not resolved, you can contact the coordinator of your program, when the issue is related to pedagogical issues; or the Head of Department when it is related to attitudinal issues, for example. In more serious cases, UFSC has an Ombudsman’s Office, which is the official channel for complaints, suggestions, criticism and praise.

2 - How can I contact the program professors?

You can find the e-mail addresses of the professors on the Department page. Click on the “academic” menu on the left and then on “faculty”, where the contact details of all the CNM professors are listed.

3 - What are the professors' office hours?

You can also access professors’ office hours on the CNM page. Click on the “PAAD” menu located in the “Department” Menu on the left and then click on the professor’s name and the information on the courses offered in the semester and the professor’s office hours will be displayed. However, it is suggested that students contact the professor in advance to schedule an appointment.

Frequent Questions about tests, courses and more

1 - Can I request a review of my test?

Yes. The student can apply to the Head of Department for a review of the evaluation, with detailed justification, within two (2) working days of the result being announced.

Following the request, the Head of Department will forward it to the course professor to carry out the review in the presence of the applicant within 02 (two) working days.

2 - Can I appeal against the review of my test?

Yes. Within a period of two (2) working days from the date of notification, the student may appeal to the Department, whose Head will appoint a committee made up of three (3) professors, excluding the course professor. The committee will have 5 (five) working days to issue a conclusive opinion.

3 - I missed a test or seminar, can I request a second call?

Yes. Students who, for reasons of major force and full justification, fail to complete the evaluations provided for in the syllabus, may submit a request for a second evaluation to the Head of the Department to which the course belongs, within 3 (three) working days.

4 - I missed a class, can I write it off?

There is no legal provision for excused absences, even for health reasons, except in the following cases provided for by law:

– Reservist student: Decree-Law 715 of July 30, 1969, provides for the excuse of absences for all reservists enrolled in a Reserve Training Body or reservist who are obliged to miss their civilian activities due to exercise or maneuver, reserve presentation exercise or civic ceremonies; and Article 77 of Decree 85,587 of December 29, 1980, which extends this excuse to Reserve Officers or Aspirants called up for active service, with proper proof.

– Student with representation on the National Commission for the Evaluation of Higher Education (CONAES): Art. 7, § 5, of Law No. 10.861, of April 14, 2004, which establishes the National System for the Evaluation of Higher Education (SINAES), stipulates that higher education institutions must excuse the absences of students who have attended CONAES meetings at a time that coincides with their academic activities.

Frequent Questions about Student Representation

1 - Is there a student representation body for my program?

Yes, there is. In the economics program, this body is called the Free Academic Center for Economics (CALE), and in the International Relations program the Academic Center for International Relations (CARI).
As well as appointing student representatives to the Council, CALE and CARI also promote events, lectures, workshops, among others, and the link to their websites can be found on the Department’s website.

Frequent Questions about transferring, returning and re-entry

1 - I'd like to know about transferring, returning and re-entry, how do I do that?

Every semester, notices are issued for transfers, returning and re-entry, setting out the criteria and procedures. These notices are published on the website of the Student Administration Department (DAE/UFSC) and the launch dates are published in the UFSC academic calendar. Specific questions should be addressed to the course coordinators.